Sunday, June 10, 2012

My Interview with Indie Filmmaker & Author: Irenia Guajardo

Today’s interview is with fellow co-writer of Succubus: The Beginning, writer, independent filmmaker and dear friend Irenia Guajardo. I hope you enjoy how candid and sometimes uncensored she gets about her work, creative interests and the horror industry as a whole. Sit back, relax, don’t look over your shoulder and enjoy this really cool interview

C.W: Irenia, can you let my audience know a little about yourself for example: where are you from and so forth?

I.G: Well, I was sprouted in Salinas, California. I say sprouted because I could have been an experiment, but then again I have transplanted to different regions of the West Coast from Southern California to Mountain Home, Idaho…then moving to Central U.S known as Wisconsin…land of cheese.

C.W: You've stated before in a previous interview that you started out writing in another genre, but changed because life related situations that led you into Horror. My question is would you ever return back to your original genre?

I.G: There has always been an underlying love for horror ever since I watched Alien and wanted one so it could eat my mother. Yet, I would love to write a fantasy novel or stories because of the fact it is another genre of horror. Horror is described as something appalling….and yet even fantasy can have some undertones of horror. Maybe one day, if I fall in love again…maybe I would write fantasy full-time, but until than I have tons of story ideas that are horror related.

C.W: You have made it known that you are a single mother. Do you find it difficult as an indie artist juggling your craft and raising a child?

I.G: Raising a child in a regular single parent environment can be hectic. I do mean a single parent, no family or boyfriend/partner assistance but you by yourself juggling life and raising a child. Let’s add creative projects on top of that. It can be very stressful, but it’s worth it. I want to be her hero. I want her to understand that despite me being a single parent I’m not giving up on my dreams. Yes, times are difficult but I want her to look back and realize that demented ass mom never gave up. We already have a tight ass bond even though we butt heads, but she has already proven to be extremely creative. She is my accidental miracle…and I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

C.W: What are your thoughts on the current climate of horror films in Hollywood?

I.G: Sad as it is, there is a lot more action and less suspense. People want to see the creature…want to know why the place is haunted. In a day and age where people are debunking shit because of science…no one is going by “it’s the way it is-pure fucking evil” scenario. I love Japanese horror because they explain things by story and even though I don’t understand a damn word they are saying, I still enjoy the suspense in it. Of course America has to remake shit, redo shit and reboot shit. It’s a lot of “re” in their life because they have gone with the easy proven market. Every horror movie has the same predictable pattern. A “proven formula”. I actually find more fun in the cheaper, badly done movies that Hollywood produces versus the high octane, massive explosives and no story-line or repetitive story. But at the same time no matter what people will pour their hard earned money into 3D and not realize that every $15 ticket they shell out that they are fucking up their eyes.

C.W: What author, filmmaker or other artist really inspired you to become a horror writer/filmmaker?

I.G: It was actually a variety of artists. Ridley Scott with his Alien and how fucking awesome the set looked. Clive Barker’s demented mind to produce classics like “Hellraiser” and to let people know that only we are limited by our imagination. Stephen King’s descriptive words to bring you into the book as if you were part of the action. Allen Poe’s dark poetic world that was more psychological thriller than gore. Giger’s beautiful other worldly creatures that he produced to even inspire Ridley Scott and many other people. It takes one artist to be our trailblazer to teach us to blaze our own trail. Granted, I was also inspired by my daughter’s father, Trevor Murray who simply believed in me when I didn’t so he is in the list of inspirational artists since he is an indie actor/director.

C.W: What are your thoughts on the use of CGI effects versus the classic use of Practical effects?

I.G: Oh this a tough one, because I have seen some fucking awesome digital effects that can blow your mind. Of course there is practical effects that can also shatter your perspective in well constructed sets and awesome creatures. But like everything there is the bad side to this….using CGI but you can tell it’s badly created like 75% of the films out there and of course some badly done practical effects that can show a werewolf like a bunch of shag carpet attached to each other. I guess I’m a perfectionist….if you are going to use one or the other make sure it looks as natural as possible…even if that means you need to take a digital arts course to help. I love practical effects but if it can be enhanced with digital effects to make even a more superb film. I’m for it.

C.W: I know you have mentioned that you are both a writer and soon-to-be filmmaker. Would you be willing to divulge some of your projects?

I.G: Actually I consider myself more of as an Indie artist because I haven’t confined myself to just writing and my aspirations of being behind a camera. I’m a very creative individual. I have finished writing my third set of children’s stories/manuscripts, but I am going to attempt to draw two of the children manuscripts: The Maple Leaf story that is somewhat based on myself in letting go of the branch and allowing myself to float with life. There is also my daughter’s inspirational demented caterpillar story, which will be more credited to her with a series and some other hand crafted projects that will be associated with Hellmouth Creations.

There is my different variety of stories that I write from short that will be going to a series called Dementia Twisted Tales. I have an already self-published tale called “The Devil’s Hand” that will be placed in to this 13-piece collection. I’m also finishing up on my werewolf novella and returning to an old love called “The Gathering” and making that my official break out novel

The second art of my writing is the screenplays that I am writing that includes “The Final Offense”, a commissioned script, along with my campy horror movie script that has no working title yet and a couple of short scripts that I would be filming eventually.

As for filming, I will be filming my first feature film called Rejection in Wisconsin along with my short-short film called Side Effects.

Of course I’m just giving the tip of my fucked up 13-layers of what I’m working on.

C.W: To dig further into your projects, what is your first feature film about?

IG: Rejection is about a reclusive, shy aspiring fantasy romance novelist that wanted to create the next best selling romantic novel, but her true aspirations was to be traditionally published. Despite what her friends and family thought she kept meeting rejection letter after another. Yet that wasn’t the only thing rejected her in life, but past lovers and even indirectly by her friends. She was given a challenge by filmmaker, Cory J. Udler, who happens to be playing himself to create a script that harbors some life experiences and he will film it. The catch is not to write anything fluffy or romantic. A simple challenge turns into an unknowing pleasure into her dark side resulting the removal of those that have hurt her in the past.

C.W: What is your ultimate goal you hope to achieve?

I.G. My ultimate goal is to be able to smoothly produce my projects without all the stress that I have been going through and to let others know that they can follow their dreams despite the horrors of their past. To see my daughter blaze her own trail because her mother never accepted defeat even though I have wanted to throw in the towel

C.W: Most people find the movie business a magical place where "dreams" come true, please shed some light on the process of filmmaking for anyone that's interested in entering the field.

I.G: One, I would slap the stardust out of their eyes. If you want to know the true business it’s sometimes a one-man show. You may have to do things that you may not want to do like Robert Rodriguez who participated in a medical research where he got injections in his back to fund his movie. If you are going to enter the filmmaking business you have to have passion for your craft. You could be that success story, but then again-those success stories happened because they wrote a commercial quality script. Yes, you can still be a success and write a bad script, get some past A-lister actors attached to your project and broadcast it on Syfy, but again…do you want to be remembered as lower than a B-list director/producer/writer that wouldn’t be taken seriously. Once you become an A-list director/producer/writer, you can write what ever the hell you want. Yet success isn’t overnight. It’s hard work, but if you are aiming for money and glory because your eyes are filled with stardust. Wake up!! Tons of directors, producers, directors or even actors starved before they achieved their dreams.

Granted making a movie is hard work. If you are going to make a movie with a creature in it, but are limited on funds. Learn your craft from monster making to digital effects to editing your film. Become friends with those that share your passion. You may become friends with an aspiring creature maker and if you pay for his supplies, gas or maybe even help him a bit-they may assist you. Yet don’t always rely on having friends with talents.

Remember it’s a learning process. Keep your first feature film simple or even practice on shorts. The more practice you get the better you’ll be. The main thing is…have passion…love and don’t rely on others telling you what you can or can’t do. It’s like having a child…either you keep it or abort it. The choice is always yours. But like having a child there is going to be lots of sleepless nights, frustrations, stress and yet in the end it will be the best thing ever to happen to you.


C.W: Do you have any plugs that you would like to make?

I.G: Well I have several plugs that I would love to make. One I’m not going to insert myself into a medical research because I’m a single mother, but you can make a donation to help fund my directorial debut to either rejectionthemovie.blogspot.com where there is a paypal donation button or to the indiegogo page at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/104009 and there is my fan page at Facebook.com/hellzwriter which is connected to my twitter account of the same name of hellzwriter.

C.W: Irenia, thank you for time.

I.G: Anytime for Fat Man…

No comments:

Post a Comment