Friday, July 13, 2012

My Interview With Writer Jason Hughes.


Let's talk music, Gore, and Books with my friend Jason Hughes.  ** Jason i'd just like to say my condolences to you, and to remind you that your friend is in a better place and you can always shoot me a text- sorry for your loss**


Chris: Jason, first please tell us where you're from?
Jason: I grew up in Texas. I've lived there most of my life there. I went to college at the Tom Savini Special Effects Program in Pennsylvania, where I graduated in 2004.
Chris: You started out as a drummer in local death metal bands, how did you transition to becoming a writer?

Jason: I've always been into writing, since as long as I can remember. I've been into Horror literally since I was born. I started writing short stories based on films in around the fourth grade. When I was in Jr. High, I had written a short story called Nightcrawlers, about some grave robbing kids in Florida. My Teacher liked it and wanted to publish it in the local paper, but wanted me to censor it. I refused and it went unpublished. I revised it today as a comic book series for adults.
I was first published in 1995, and played drums then as well. Music, Horror and Special Effects have been a passion for as long as I can remember. With this being said, (mostly dark toned) Metal, Horror movies and True Crime/ Horror novels are all active influences on my writing.


Chris: For any interested fans out there, can they find any recordings of you playing the drums or for those bands?
Jason: Haha, possibly. They are rare, but they are out there. I was in three bands in the nineties and early 2000's. The first was called Unborn Death. Unborn Death does not have any recordings available. The second band was called Necrofetus. We had one cheaply recorded demo made, but I doubt anyone can find it. Stripped of Skin was a regurgitated birth of Necrofetus. We have three demos out if one is lucky enough to find them, ha. Two are on cassette and one is one CD.
Necrofetus had a pretty big following and was the premiere Death Metal band in the town where I'm from. Stripped of Skin had an immediate following because of Necrofetus' reputation. Necrofetus played local shows, while Stripped of Skin went on to open for national acts such as Goatwhore, Skinless, Cephalic Carnage, Prophecy, TON and Disgorge among others.
Chris: Now you're a very strong supporting of the West Memphis 3, what are your thoughts on their overturned cases?
Jason: Yes. I have supported The West Memphis Three since 1996, when Paradise Lost aired on HBO. I also add the case to my stories to get the word out, and add a sense of realism with current events to my works of Fiction. I have been very active in getting the word out through media and printing the official t-shirts for Rock For Freedom Weekend 2008, and donation shirts for the defense fund.
Technically, their cases have not been overturned. They were released under a deal called The Alford Plea. This fucked-up deal with the State of Arkansas granted them the ability to walk free with time served, while pleading that they are innocent of the crime, but with the knowledge that the state sees them as guilty. They are not able to sue the state under this bargain. Jason [Baldwin] did not want to take the deal at first, but did it to save Damien's life.
I am glad that they are free, but they need to be exonerated as well. They did not commit the murders in which they have been accused of, and the guilty is still walking free. I encourage everyone to watch the documentary series, Paradise Lost (I: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills, II:Revelations (even though it is a slight detour in the case, due to the new findings) and III: Purgatory. There are several books on the case available as well with more on the way (Devil's Knot by Mara Leveritt, being the most informative), with another documentary called West of Memphis and two Hollywood produced films that are in production (one which is based on the above mentioned novel, Devil's Knot). EXONERATE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE
For more info on the case, go to www.wm3.org
Chris: You are also a big supporter of controversial director Nick Palumbo and his seminal film Murder-Set-Pieces, do you feel that gore like that is acceptable by today's standards?
Jason: Ha, who cares if it's acceptable? It is to the fans, and that's who most Writers and Directors work for in the long run. As with Musicians, without fans, they would not have a job. I think Nick pushes the boundaries beyond most other filmmakers out there today. Personally, I don't think it's the gore of M-S-P that gets to people. There are many aspects of the film to shock one's senses. Gore is the least on the list, and only a fair amount is used in the film.
Chris: What is you favorite horror film of all time?
Jason: I have a few for different reasons; The Amityville Horror (1979) is one, because along with The Town That Dreaded Sundown, it made me the Horror fan/ Writer I am today. The original Last House on the Left, (the original) I Spit on Your Grave, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist have been favorites of mine growing up (each have their own catagory)... and today, Murder-Set-Pieces (the banned in the U.S. and beyond, uncut version, of course) is my current favorite. Each play their own little influential mile stone of their time.
Chris: Now you have an array of books and short stories out, if one were to start reading Jason Hughes what one do you suggest?

Jason: My novel, WITHOUT NOTICE, is available now at Barnes&Noble and Amazon.com. It is aimed at an adult audience. I also have a bestselling short story called Someone Still Lives Here. Unlike the novel, this short story is suitable for the entire family. I can't tell everyone what to start with, but they may choose from most of my released material at my Amazon store here:

Chris: You have a new novel coming out, care to shed some light on it?

Jason: I'll spread some darkness about it, ha... It's called THE 13th TOLL of TWELVE DARK CHIMES. It will be released in two parts by Trestle Press. Part II is called Terminal Intrusion. It is a violent Paranormal story with elements of family Drama, voyeurism and True Crime.

Chris: You true story behind the AmityVille Murders screenplay was optioned, whatever came of that?

Jason: Yes, it's called 112 OCEAN AVENUE. It was optioned in 2007 by a hack company called Riwayat Films, and their hack owner, named Brian Coposky. It has had interest by a lot of other companies as well since then. Right now, it is in the hands of a major studio that is working on two other True Crime films by my second favorite Author (first favorite True Crime Writer). I will let the public know when I find out more from the company, but I am very excited about its current occupant.
Chris: Do you have any plugs you'd like to make?

Jason: Watch out for THE 13th TOLL of TWELVE DARK CHIMES and THE 13th TOLLof TWELVE DARK CHIMES II: TERMINAL INTRUSION...
COMING SOON by TRESTLE PRESS
I also have several new short stories that will be out in different anthologies and some other films that are in pre-production. I am writing a collaborative novel with Simon Critchell called 21:24. Look for that next year sometime. Visit my Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/JasonHugheshorrorauthor or my Amazon link above for more info.
WITHOUT NOTICE
$4.99
CHEAP!
“5 STARS”
*****
"The story is worth the read, trust me."
-Stephen W. Roberts, Author, Editor/ The Dark Fiction Spotlight


"WITHOUT NOTICE is a truly great read and a book that you won't want to put down!"
-House of Horror Magazine


"Jason Hughes [WITHOUT NOTICE] took me for a whirlwind of shock, horror and mystery. I often wondered what would happen next to Amanda and actually started to feel sorry for the woman....
Don't be distracted when reading this book or you will miss what good writing is."
-Terry Morgan, Sonar 4 Landing Dock Reviews


"WITHOUT NOTICE takes the reader on a journey of intrigue and eclectic terror. Jason Hughes stitches together a bloody flesh mask of horror as we follow the life of forlorn lover Amanda. After Amanda realizes her fiance has been unfaithful she moves into Graystone Castle Apartments where she meets a handful of interestingly devious characters. While Amanda circles the alcohol, drug induced; proverbial drain, tenants are being killed off. One by one they are picked off in horrific ways. The tenants grow leery of each other, suspicious of the person down the hall. The intensity builds to an exciting conclusion that leaves the reader gasping for air.


Hughes pros are almost poetic in style, reminiscent of some of the great's with a modern twist. His descriptions of terror are vivid as if you were watching them on the big screen. He makes you feel uncomfortable in that you are sucked into the emotions of his protagonists very being. You feel for her, but want to reach into the book and slap her at the same time.


Overall, this book is a great read for adults. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone under the age of 18 as there are some gratuitous sex scenes and graphic violence. But for those of us that thrive on these things, I think you will get a gut wrenching kick out of WITHOUT NOTICE."


-Nate D. Burleigh, Author of Sustenance
"WITHOUT NOTICE" by Jason Hughes is by FAR the best book I have read this year. The action and suspense continue to build with each page, and just when you least expect it, something ELSE happens~! He had me at the first three words of the book. I can't wait to read more of Jason's work. I have found a new HORROR author that I am in love with~!!
“… The story really caught my attention from the beginning and held it through to the end. That's why I am giving this five stars, because it is a great tale and suspenseful with a poetic grit to it. Had me from the beginning until the absolutely horrific surprise ending. Great job for this author and I expect we shall see more from him in the future."
SOMEONE STILL LIVES HERE
*****5 STARS*****
“Jason Hughes hits a line drive right into your heart with this creepy tale. His pros accurately reflect the love of parents for their Autistic child as the story unfolds into a chilling tale of angst whilst the parents frantically try and figure out what else could be wrong with their son. The conclusion doesn't jump out at you, more than confirm your suspicions. I recommend this tale to anyone who wants a good wholesome chiller for the entire family to enjoy.”

-Nate D. Burleigh
Author of Sustenance
*****5 STARS*****
"I just finished reading Someone Still Lives Here this morning. I definitely recommend this book for all ages. I plan on reading the story again with my nephew. Jason Hughes did an awesome job with this spooky and creepy but yet heartwarming story. Billy is a little autistic child whose parents feel like he is slipping farther away from them,but what is causing such a tremendous change in Billy? I encourage you to read the story to find out. I will definitely be checking out more of Jason Hughes' work."
$.99
CHEAP!




No comments:

Post a Comment